11 Reasons to Hire a Veteran
For veterans, transitioning to civilian life can be full of challenges. One such challenge is finding civilian employment. Many employers choose to hire veterans because of their particular leadership and teamwork experience, education, and training. You can also correlate different military occupations with analogous civilian jobs.
1) Accelerated learning curve: Veterans have the proven ability to learn new skills and concepts. In addition, they can enter your workforce with identifiable and transferable skills, proven in real world situations. This background can enhance your organization’s productivity.
2) Leadership: The military trains people to lead by example as well as through direction, delegation, motivation and inspiration. Veterans understand the practical ways to manage behaviors for results, even in the most trying circumstances. They also know the dynamics of leadership as part of both hierarchical and peer structures.
3) Teamwork: Veterans understand how genuine teamwork grows out of a responsibility to one’s colleagues. Military duties involve a blend of individual and group productivity. They also necessitate a perception of how groups of all sizes relate to each other and an over-arching objective.
4) Diversity and inclusion in action: Veterans have learned to work side-by-side with individuals regardless of race, gender, geographic origin, ethnic background, religion and economic status as well as mental and physical attitudinal capabilities. They have the sensitivity to cooperate with many different types of individuals.
5) Efficient performance under pressure: Veterans understand the rigors of tight schedules and limited resources. They have developed the capacity to know how to accomplish priorities on time, in spite of tremendous stress. They know the critical importance of staying with a task until it is done right.
6) Respect for procedures: Veterans have gained a unique perspective on the value of accountability. They can grasp their place within an organizational framework, becoming responsible for subordinates’ actions to higher supervisory levels. They know how policies and procedures enable an organization to exist.
7) Technology and globalization: Because of their experiences in the service, veterans are usually aware of international and technical trends pertinent to business and industry. They can bring the kind of global outlook and technological savvy that all enterprises of any size need to succeed.
8) Integrity: Veterans know what it means to do “an honest day’s work.” Prospective employers can take advantage of a track record of integrity, often including security clearances. This integrity translates into qualities of sincerity and trustworthiness.
9) Conscious of health and safety standards: Thanks to extensive training, veterans are aware of health and safety protocols both for themselves and the welfare of others. Individually, they represent a drug-free workforce that is cognizant of maintain personal health and fitness. On a company level, their awareness and conscientiousness translate into protection of employees, property and materials.
10) Triumph over adversity: In addition to dealing positively with the typical issues of personal maturity, veterans have frequently triumphed over great adversity. They likely have proven their mettle in mission critical situations demanding endurance, stamina and flexibility. They may have overcome personal disabilities through strength and determination.
11) Veterans are cost-effective employees: At CareerSource Southwest Florida, Veterans always receive priority of service. It is our duty to promote and maximize the employment of our veterans, especially Veterans with barriers to employment.
Contact your local CareerSource Southwest Florida center to find out how you can interview candidates.
(This content is borrowed from CareerSource Research Coast, one of 24 in the CareerSource Florida network. We consist of dedicated professionals who help inform Florida businesses and job seekers of the resources and services available through the CareerSource Florida network.)
The Employ Florida web site is a powerful online tool designed to assist job seekers and students of all ages in search for the right job, and to help employers identify the best job candidates.