As part one of a three part series on “Successful Interviews”, we are going to cover how you should handle a job interview to maximize your chances of getting the job offer.
This may interest you if…
Have you ever felt great about that interview, but never got a call back?
Did you stumble during the interview and felt it was a complete failure?
Or have no idea how to interview?
If you answer YES to any of these questions, these first eight tips will help you conquer the interview:
- First impressions – greet the interviewer with a firm handshake, direct eye contact and a warm smile.
- Conversation Rule 50/50/2 – the conversation flow states to speak 50%, listen 50% and speak no longer than 2 minutes at a time.
- Position yourself – when offered, chose a chair directly in front of the interviewer with your portfolio in your lap and your prove-it file on the floor.
- Eye contact is essential– always give direct eye contact and look at the person when asked a question.
- Be likeable – give a warm smile and be likeable by using your soft skills, people hire people they like.
- Questions from the interviewer – before responding take a pause, breathe, and respond.
- Ask for clarification – if you don’t understand the question, repeat it, and don’t be afraid to ask for further clarification.
- Responses – speak slowly and emphasize the words of importance.
We will bring you more each week following with part two of “Successful Interviews” series.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” – Nelson Mandela
Apply these tips while practicing for the interview, in the meantime, check out Southwest Florida’s Hot Jobs on our Find a Job webpage.
Let CareerSource Southwest Florida help you with career advice and tips on your job search by following us on Twitter and LinkedIn, and “Like” us on Facebook.