As you go about your job search process, you probably have heard about having a reference list ready.
A reference list usually consists of 2 to 3 professional contacts that have either worked with you in a particular company or a manager for whom you worked. This list may be requested during the job application process or after the interview, once the hiring manager has considered you as a possible candidate. It is important to have this list ready and verified.
An article from TheBalance.com titled “How to Format a List of Professional References,” written by Alison Doyle, reminds us what is important about reference lists.
A reference list must have:
- A proper professional format.
- Include name, job title, company, and contact information.
- Choose wisely who you add to this list.
- You must call to ask permission to add them .
- Allow them the opportunity to decline.
- Review with them the projects you want to focus on that will highlight your expertise on the prospective job.
- Read the article mentioned above for examples and more advice.
A great place to start looking for contacts to add to the reference list is your LinkedIn recommendations which you can print out and format professionally to add to the job application.
Do not underestimate the power of your contacts; they could be the ones that help you get that dream job!
Don’t forget to check out our weekly “Hot Job Opportunities” page!
For more articles, “Like” us on Facebook, “Follow” us on Twitter and LinkedIn.