This is the moment you’ve been waiting for, the phone call requesting an interview. You are so excited and all of a sudden you forget the rules about interviews! Sure, you’ve interviewed before, about 10 years ago! But now all the rules have changed. The times have changed.
In order to ‘hit it out of the park’ with the interview, follow these ten tips:
- Research the company, product lines, and competitors – data helps you decide if you are interested in the company and this information can be used during the interview.
- Image is often as important as content – studies show that 65 percent of the conveyed message is nonverbal like gestures, physical appearance, and attire are highly influential during job interviews.
- Keep your answers brief and concise – take a pause before you answer and keep them under two or three minutes.
- Use quantifiable data – use measurable information and give specifics on accomplishments.
- Repeat your key strengths – confidently and comfortably articulate your strengths.
- Prepare five or more success stories – make a list of skills and key assets, then reflect on past jobs and when you used those skills successfully.
- Put yourself on their team – create an ally by using their name and products on how you would analyze a certain challenge within their company, ones you’ve researched.
- Ask questions – have at least 8 to 10 thought-out questions to ask about the company and the job to identify if this is the right fit for YOU!
- Keep an interview journal – write a brief summary of what happened, track any follow-up needed on your part, and write answers to your questions.
- Send a personalized Thank You Note – within 24 hours send your interviewer a Thank You note or email showing gratitude for the opportunity and reiterate why you want this job.
It is time to brush-up on those interviewing skills and put them into practice. As Dale Carnegie said, “Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.”
Are you ready to see the list for this week’s Hot Jobs? You can find this week’s Hot Jobs on our Find a Job webpage. Let CareerSource Southwest Florida help you with career advice and tips on your job search by following us on Twitter and LinkedIn, and “Like” us on Facebook.